Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My, how things change...or The irony

I was reminded of something tonight that I thought I would share.
This time last year, I was teaching high school Government and History, and one of my students, a 15 year old girl, was diagnosed with diabetes at the beginning of October. She had been back in school for a few weeks by Halloween, and seemed to be doing fine. Halloween night, Kylee went trick or treating with a friend of hers, and when they were done, they went back to the friends house and I picked Kylee up when I picked up Hunter from a Halloween party. Kylee was half asleep on her friends house and said she didnt feel well, but I figured she had just eaten too much junk. She and Hunter wanted to go to a few more houses(family friends and their kindergarten and 1st grade teacher) before they went home, so I took them. We made it to 2 of the 4 houses, and Kylee was feeling bad enough, she didnt want to get out of the car, but Hunter still wanted to go to the teachers houses, so I took him. They both live at the end of the same street, so I pulled up to the curb and parked the car and he got out and went to the houses. A group of my high school kids walked by the car, the newly diagnosed girl among them. They were all eating candy and I remember thinking how it probably wasnt a good idea for the diabetic girl to be eating candy. While my own(unknown diabetic) child was sleeping in the back seat with a blood sugar of God only knows what, days away from her own diagnosis. So this year while Kylee is out trick or treating on Halloween, I wonder how many people will look at her and think its probably not a good idea for the diabetic kid to be out gathering candy and that she isnt supposed to be eating any either.

Ironic isnt it?

1 comment:

Shebafudge said...

I find that with Rachael having diabetes.

"Should she be eating that?" is one that really annoys me.