Tuesday, November 4, 2008

3650

3650 damn holes. Over the past year, thats how many holes my daughter has put in herself. Kylee was diagnosed with diabetes on November 5, 2007 and since that day, she has poked her fingers at least 1825 times and had a minimum of 1825 shots. Thats a low estimate too, there is no doubt in my mind that that number is actually higher. She checks herself a minimum of 5 times a day and as many as 10 times on days she is having problems with lows or she is sick. She gives herself a shot at breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime and then any other time she is eating something with more than 10 carbs in it. Without a cure, by the time she is 20, she will have lived half her life with diabetes and given herself more than 18000 injections. Im grateful we have the technology and means to care for her. Im grateful she is healthy. Im grateful that she is a normal little girl who still gets to do the things other kids get to do. I know things could be much worse.



Kylee handles it all so well it really amazes me. Very rarely does she say anything negative about diabetes and she really doesnt seem to be too affected by it. Me, I dont do as well. I dont think there has been a day in the last year where I havent been mad for her. And of course there are the feelings of guilt. Did I do something to contribute to this? Could I have done something to prevent it? Probably not, but that doesnt keep me from wondering.



A few years ago, Nick Jonas of the Jonas Brothers was diagnosed with diabetes. He wrote a song called A Little Bit Longer and of course, its Kylee's favorite. She also thinks its destiny that she marry Nick Jonas now :) I gave her a necklace today that has those words on it as well.



So this is for all the children and adults affected with diabetes around the world. And hoping that in a little bit longer... they'll be fine.


Editing to add that I have now figured out how to add music to this post, so A Little Bit Longer should now be playing.

4 comments:

Velda said...

WOW what a moving entry Jill. As hard as this is on all of you, I'm glad you shared that song quote. I know the group but not the song. ((Hugs))

Megan said...

(((hugs))) I can't imagine how hard this is for you as a Mom to watch. Have I ever told you that my best friend has Type 1? She was diagnosed at 12, she's now 34, incredibly healthy, and has 2 beautiful boys. All those holes that Kylee is making are what is keeping her healthy - its the folks who don't watch their sugars, who play around with their insulin, that have the problems.

Jill said...

Thanks ladies. Megan, I didnt know that about your friend, but I really appreciate you telling me. One of my biggest concerns for Kylee is having children and it helps to know that there are people out there who have done it and not had any problems.

Tammy said...

Oh, honey I can't even begin to imagine how this is breaking your heart. Kylee's attitude is great and it has to be what enables her to cope so well.

Sending hugs!